How is a dock worker’s job description like? A dock worker is responsible for loading and unloading cargo from ships. He uses a machine called forklift to lift and move cargo. To know more about a dock worker job description, let’s check the following details.
Some Important Duties in the Dock Worker Job Description
There are some duties that a dock worker has to do. What are they? Let’s check them one by one.
1. Prepare and install gangway
The first duty of a dock worker is to prepare and install a gangway before the ships arrive. He also needs to make sure that the oil boom is in good condition. It is to avoid the oil spills in the sea.
2. Help secure ships
The next duty of a dock worker is that he must help secure ships. He has to ensure that the ships in the port are safe. Thus, he needs to tie the ships to the moorings and hook up the shore power.
3. Load and unload cargo
Then, in this dock worker job description, a dock worker has to load and unload cargo. He needs to operate several machines such as cranes, forklifts, and grain trimmers. He also should coordinate with the other longshoremen by using a walkie talkie. They have to make sure that the cargo is secured.
4. Examine the cargo
After loading and unloading cargo, the dock worker must examine the unloaded cargo. He needs to ensure that the unloaded cargo is not damaged or lost. Then, he has to count them and create spreadsheets for the management.
5. Maintenance dock
The last duty of a dock worker is to maintenance dock. He should keep the dock areas clean. He needs to check the facilities are well-functioned. It is important to avoid accidents and injuries.
Some Important Requirements in the Dock Worker Job Description
If you are interested in this job description, you need to know some of the important requirements below.
1. Have a High School Diploma
The first requirement that you have to fulfill if you want to be a dock worker is qualifying for a High School Diploma. Besides, it will also be considered if you have a GED certificate.
2. Good physical stamina
Then, if you want to apply for a dock worker, you must ensure that you have good physical stamina. It is because the job needs long hours from dusk when the first ship arrives. So, you should sure you are in prime condition.
3. Able to operate certain machines
The last requirement is that you have to be able to operate certain machines. Most of them are categorized as heavy machinery. Thus, you need to understand how to operate them.
What is the role of a dock worker?
A dock worker has a job to load and unload cargo from ships. He uses machines called forklifts to lift and move cargo.
What are the most common duties of this position?
The most common duties are to prepare and install gangway, secure ships, load and unload cargo, and other essential duties.
What should you do before assigning a dock worker job description?
You have to consider the duties of a dock worker if you want to assign it. If you feel difficult to start, you can have a look at the list of requirements on the dock worker job description above.
To sum up, that is about the important information that you have to put in a dock worker job description. You can apply as a dock worker if you are interested.
- Researcher Job Description: Essential Information About Your Dream Job
- Sales Analyst Job Description: Things to Read About Your Future Career
- Product Developer Job Description: Necessary Information to Recite Before Sending Your CV
- Production Engineer Job Description: Essential Information About Duties, Responsibilities, And Requirements
- Find Out More In The Cad Technician Job Description If You Want To Become Successful CAD Technician
- Kinesiologist Job Description: Essential Things to Comprehend Before Applying for the Job
- Copy Editor Job Description: Significant Details About Your Dream Career
- Cost Analyst Job Description: Things to Understand Before Sending Your CV
- Email Marketing Specialist Job Description: Essential Information About Your Future Career
- Dean of Students Job Description: Things to Comprehend Before Applying for The Job
- Senior Project Manager Job Description: Important Information About Your Future Career
- Preschool Director Job Description – Knowing The Duties Are Not Enough For This Position
- Assistant General Manager Job Description: Things to Know About Your Future Career
- Kitchen Staff Job Description: A Useful Guideline For Preparing To Become A Qualified Kitchen Staff
- Concierge Job Description: Knowing Its Responsibilities And Requirements To Be Qualified In This Position
- What To Write And Prepare In The Nurse Manager Job Description
- Music Editor Job Description – The Career Path, Skills, And Responsibilities
- Things You Must Know In The Senior Accountant Job Description To Create Good Resume
- Stage Manager Job Description – The Responsibilities, Duties, Skills Required, And Career Path
- Find Out Essential Information About The Martial Arts Instructor Job Description For Being The Professional Ones
- Things You Need To Know In the Forestry Technician Job Description If You Want To Be Successful Forestry Technician
- Public Information Officer Job Description: Essential Things to Read Before Sending Your CV
- Research Specialist Job Description: Important Information About Your Dream Career
- Optometrist Job Description: Essential Things to Understand Before Sending Your CV
- UI Developer Job Description: Important Information to Recite About Your Future Job
- Desktop Support Technician Job Description: Important Things to Understand Before Applying for the Job
- Beauty Therapist Job Description: Essential Information About Your Dream Career
- Commis Chef Job Description – Skills To Add To Be A Professional One
- Neuroscientist Job Description – Understanding The Skills, And Duties
- Collector Job Description – Skills And Responsibilities Required